fbpx Acorn Toxicity | Veterinary Clinic Morrinsville
News

Acorn Toxicity

Back to News

09 April 2020

We have seen a few cases of acorn toxicity in the last month. At this time of year there are very large numbers of acorns on the ground. Cattle can graze quite happily year after year in a paddock with oak trees without problems, but every now and then an animal develops a taste for acorns, or feed availability is scarce and they will start to eat them. It is a good idea to fence off areas that acorns can be eaten.

Unripe acorns are thought to be the most toxic, but ripe acorns and oak leaves can also cause poisoning. Ingestion leads to kidney damage, abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea and death. Illness and death may continue to occur in a mob for up to 4 weeks after the acorns were eaten. Sheep and horses may also be affected, and pigs when very large quantities are eaten.

FURTHER READING

Latest news

dog in winter
Winter Tips for Pets
13 Jun 2022

The seasons have changed, and the togs have been replaced with jackets and hats. Not only do we feel the change, but so too do our...

Read more
Article
Poison of the Season – Rat Bait
10 May 2022

Every autumn and early winter we see a number of cases of rat bait poisoning in dogs, either via direct ingestion of the rat bait or...

Read more
Ukraine flag
News
Ukraine's Paws and Peeps Fundraiser
28 Apr 2022

Times are tough at the moment, but can be and are even tougher for others. With the current situation in Ukraine, we did our bit with...

Read more